Learn to Swim Level 5
The Learn to Swim Level 5 course is designed to refine students swim strokes and turns while focusing on staying safe in, on, and around the water. The Level 5 course builds on skills learned in the Level 4 course while incorporating more advanced swimming skills including turns, diving, and circle swimming. This course builds on the progression of swimming and teaches students how to complete aquatic skills independently while providing an interactive learning experience.
We recommend participants complete the Learn to Swim Level 4 course prior to enrolling in Level 5. However, previous swim experience and/or successful completion of the course objectives for Level 4 fulfill the course prerequisite requirements. Additionally for the Learn to Swim Level 5 course, participants must be able to successfully pass the *Aztec Recreation Deep Water Swim Test.
*Aztec Aquaplex deep-water swim test:
The first part of the swim test consists of swimming 25 yards freestyle at the surface without stopping or touching the bottom of the pool. The second part of the test consists of treading water for 30 seconds.
- Shallow-angle dive from the side then glide and begin a front stroke, sculling
- Tuck and pike surface dives, submerge completely
- Front flip turn and backstroke flip turn while swimming
- Front and back crawl, elementary backstroke, breaststroke, sidestroke and butterfly
- Learn to look carefully before entering the water
- Learn what to think about and do when exhausted or caught in a dangerous situation
- Learn to perform simple non-swimming assists
- Learn about recreational water illnesses and how to prevent them
- Learn how to call for help and the importance of knowing first aid and CPR
- Learn basic safety guidelines for participating in aquatic activities
COURSE COMPLETION SKILLS:
- Perform a shallow-angle dive into the water, swim front crawl for 5 yards, then swim elementary backstroke 50 yards using appropriate and efficient turning styles throughout
- Swim breaststroke for 25 yards, change direction of travel as necessary and then swim back crawl for 25 yards using appropriate and efficient turning styles throughout.
There are no upcoming Learn to Swim Level 5 classes currently scheduled.
Please check back at a later date for future Learn to Swim Level 5 Schedule
For further information please contact Aztec Aquaplex staff by calling (619) 594-7946