An expanded and enhanced ARC will not only create considerable opportunities for new and expanded recreation, fitness and wellness programming to serve SDSU students but will also support student success initiatives and contribute to the overall residential quality of campus by enhancing the living space on the west side of campus. The project will demonstrate high-quality design and use of materials and will showcase sustainability and technology. The facility is being designed to achieve LEED Double Platinum Certification.
The ARC currently operates with an opt-in membership model for students. With the successful passage of the referendum for the ARC expansion project, all SDSU students will have access to the ARC beginning fall semester of 2021, and the opt-in membership model for students will be eliminated.
The current Aztec Recreation Center is 78,000 sq. ft. The project will include a combination of new construction and renovation which will result in a total facility size of 138,000 sq. ft.
- Increase from 18,000 to 25,000 sq/ft of weight and cardio equipment space
- Increase from 4 to 6 courts plus a Multi-Activity Court (MAC) to support intramural sport leagues, adaptive sports programming, club sports and drop-in recreation activities such as basketball, indoor soccer, volleyball, fitness classes, special events and student club and organization activities
- Increase from 2 to 5 fitness studios for classes such as yoga, pilates, meditation, group cycling, dance, boot camp and self-defense
- Wellness programming space
- Social and study spaces
- Healthy eatery
- New gender neutral locker, shower and restroom spaces
- New climbing and bouldering walls
- New indoor running track
- Office and meeting room space