The Aztec Recreation Center is LEED Gold Certified for Existing Building Operations and Maintenance.
As a result of AS "Green Love" initiatives, Aztec Recreation has implemented several sustainability practices and energy efficiency processes in our day-to-day operations.
- Roof-top photovoltaic (PV) panels on the ARC save approximately 300 tons of greenhouse gas annually
- 840+ photovoltaic (PV) panels at the Aztec Aquaplex
- Thermal solar system at Aztec Aquaplex reduces amount of natural gas needed to heat the water
- Solar water heating system at ARC supplies heated water for laundering workout towels
- Water savings achieved through installing low-flow shower heads, low-flow urinals, touchless faucets in restrooms and installing synthetic turf instead of natural grass at Aquaplex
- Reduced energy costs by re-commissioning the ARC's Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) system
- Upgraded programmable thermostats to control room temperatures in the ARC
- VFDs on the Aquaplex water pumps to reduce energy consumption
- The cool "white roof" on the ARC reflects sunlight and decrease air conditioning costs
- Installed 24 foot fans to improve air flow and user's comfort level, without increasing air conditioning, in exercise rooms and gymnasium in the ARC
- Vending "misers" on refrigerated vending machines reduce energy use
- Replaced inefficient appliances with ENERGY STAR™-rated appliances
- Replaced inefficient overhead light fixtures inside the ARC with highly efficient LED lighting
- Occupancy sensors in the ARC control lights and reduce energy consumption
- Replaced metal lockers with lockers made from 100 percent post-consumer recycled high density polythylene (i.e., recycled milk jugs)
- Use of 100% recycled office paper
- Use of EPA-certified post-consumer recycled toilet paper and paper towels.
- Improved recycling efforts by doubling the blue recycling bins throughout the facilities
- Installed additional bicycle and skateboard racks
- Conduct energy audits for all facilities