Learn to Swim Level 2
The Learn to Swim Level 2 course is the advanced introductory course designed to familiarize youth to more advanced basic swimming skills focusing on staying safe in, on, and around the water. The Level 2 course builds on skills learned in the Level 1 course while still acclimating students to the aquatic environment. This course builds on the progression of swimming and teaches students how to complete aquatic skills independently while providing an interactive learning experience.
We recommend participants complete the Learn to Swim Level 1 course prior to enrolling in Level 2. However, previous swim experience, comfortability in the water, and/or successful completion of the Course objectives for Level 1 fulfills the course prerequisite requirements.
- Enter and exit water by stepping or jumping from the side
- Fully submerge and hold breath
- Open eyes under water and retrieve submerged objects
- Front, jellyfish and tuck floats
- Front and back glides and floats
- Recover to vertical position
- Roll from front to back and back to front
- Change direction of travel while swimming on front or back
- Tread water using arm and leg actions
- Combined arm and leg actions on front and back
- Finning arm action
- Learn how to stay safe, including recognizing an emergency, knowing how to call for help and perform simple non-swimming assists
- Learn how to stay safe in, on and around the water, including the use of a life jacket, recognizing lifeguards and sun safety
- Learn to look carefully before entering the water
- Learn what to think about and do when exhausted or caught in a dangerous situation
COURSE COMPLETION SKILLS:
- Step from side into chest-deep water, pushing off the bottom, move into a treading water or floating position for at least 15 seconds, swim on front and/or back for 5 body lengths, then exit the water
- Move into a back float for 15 seconds, roll to front, then recover to a vertical position
- Push off and swim using combined arm and leg actions on front for 5 body lengths, roll to back, float for 15 seconds, roll to the front, then continue swimming for 5 body lengths.
There are no upcoming Learn to Swim Level 2 classes currently scheduled.
Please check back at a later date for future Learn to Swim Level 2 Schedule
For further information please contact Aztec Aquaplex staff by calling (619) 594-7946